On our latest trip to Maui, we stayed at the Honua Kai Resort in Ka`anapali, Maui. We went with family so we rented 3 units between all 14 of us. This was my first time staying at a resort, rather than a hotel or condominium. After spending a week there, here are my pros and cons for staying at the Honua Kai Resort:
- The resort location is amazing! It’s just steps away from Ka`anapali Beach.
- Food options: Duke’s is located on premises and there’s also a market with a coffee and chai tea lattes and breakfast items.
- The `Aina Gourmet Market also has a whole section of organic baby/toddler food and Green Toys!
- There are 5 pools! Some are just for adults while others are geared toward kids of all ages. Did I mention there’s also a water slide?
- The views! Our room overlooked the mountains (my personal favorite part of Maui) with the other rooms overlooked the ocean and the rest of the resort. And we saw too many rainbows to count from our lanai windows! Not too shabby!
- The bathrooms are gigantic! I think the bedroom and bathroom were the same size. It’s nice to have enough room to really spread out. And they have a separate tub, which is great for toddlers.
- There are large tables and chairs on the lanai, perfect for breakfasts or dinners at the condo.
- Times Supermarket grocery store is across the street (walking distance) to grab snacks and meal supplies.
- Free WiFi. This is a must for me when we travel and it’s surprisingly hard to find some places.
- The customer service was hit/miss. We arrived after midnight due to an unexpected highway closure and by the time we got to the Resort we were wiped. We unloaded our car and while we tried to get a staff member to help us locate a cart, we were brushed off while they helped others who arrived after us. Not a great first impression. However their security staff is fabulous and the management company sent us cookies the next day as a welcome gift because of the crazy highway closure.
- Our bed was super bouncy. It was so bouncy that I felt seasick at night anytime my husband moved.
- The water pressure was really hard. Normally I like good water pressure, but this was very painful for even the lightest of sunburns. Thankfully there was a separate bathtub.
- There were a ton of tiny bugs all over our room. It was mostly noticeable on my laptop screen and then I noticed them crawling all over. They are super tiny, but enough to be annoying. They may be all over the island, but I noticed them primarily in our room.
I really liked the Honua Kai Resort. It was nice to be on a vacation where we really could just stay at the resort if we wanted. The pools were pretty incredible and I loved that there was food/coffee options on site! It’s a great place relax and unwind!