Are you looking for some romantic weekend getaways in the US? Check out this list of the most romantic getaways in the U.S. worth a visit!
This list of the most romantic getaways in the U.S. was written by family travel expert Marcie Cheung and may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Planning a romantic getaway trip soon and don’t know where to start?
Marcie in Mommyland has you covered! We’ve put together a list of the most popular and romantic destinations in the U.S. so you can make the most of your time together.
These destinations are sure to please and will help reconnect you with your significant other.
Start planning your dream vacation now by scrolling down!
Most Romantic Places in the United States
#1: Napa Valley, CA
Being probably the most popular wine destination in the U.S. Napa Valley makes the perfect romantic getaway spot for those couples that enjoy sipping on a glass of wine and cozying up together with the beautiful scenic views of vineyards and landscapes around them.
One of the most popular things to do while visiting Napa Valley includes The Napa Valley Wine Train. This is a 36-mile train adventure that offers up delicious gourmet eats paired with some of Napa Valley’s finest wines.
There’s also the Robert Louis Stevenson State Park and O’Brien Estate. This is a 40-acre vineyard where you can see the entire wine-making process happen. The wine tour at O’Brien’s is one of the most popular tours in Napa Valley because the tour guides provide such a great and informative experience for their visitors.
Where to Stay in Napa
- The Meritage Resort and Spa (it’s just a 2-minute walk to Trinitas Cellars)
- River Terrace Inn – A Noble House Hotel (it’s just a 4-minute walk to the Napa Valley Wine Train)
- The Westin Verasa Napa (great location with an outdoor pool)
Romantic Things to Do in Napa Valley
- Napa Valley Open Air Wine Trolley Tour (what a fun way to explore Napa!)
- Wine Country Hot-Air Balloon Ride (this is a super popular, romantic thing to do in Napa)
- Napa Riverside Food & Wine Tour (what’s more romantic that tasty food and amazing wine?)
Save Money with Points
Here are the best credit card offers for families who travel and want to use points to pay for airfare and hotels.
#2: Sedona, AZ
The scenery in Sedona alone makes for a perfect romantic getaway spot. The sights are absolutely beautiful and the seclusion of Sedona provides the perfect destination for couples that enjoy unplugging and getting out into nature together.
Spend your days outside taking in the beauty of sites such as Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock while spending your evenings enjoying a romantic dinner in uptown Sedona. Some of the most popular restaurants include Mariposa, Gerardo’s Italian Kitchen, and The Hudson.
Where to Stay in Sedona
- Amara Resort and Spa (this is a great location in the heart of town)
- The Wilde Resort and Spa (it’s just a 20-minute walk from the incredible Amitabha Stupa)
- Hyatt Residence Club Sedona (amazing location with an even better view)
Romantic Things to Do in Sedona
- Pink Jeep Tour (there are several to choose from, but I suggest the scenic one)
- Stargazing Tour (the night sky is incredible in Sedona)
- Wine Tour from Sedona to the Verde Valley Vineyards (wine tasting is always a hit)
#3: Savannah, GA
Savannah is a beautiful city in Georgia that will make for the perfect choice for a couple that enjoys a quaint place to stay as well as learning and indulging in history on their getaway.
Savannah is one of the most historic cities in not only Georgia but the entire South.
Some popular attractions include the Bonaventure Cemetery, a huge plot of land that is said to be filled with good fortune, the sights here are absolutely beautiful. Other can’t-miss sites include The Ralph Mark Gilbert Civil Rights Museum and Factors Row/Walk.
Where to Stay in Savannah
- Mansion on Forsyth Park (this is right next to Forsyth Park and it’s an adorable historic hotel)
- The Marshall House (this is close to River Street and City Market)
- River Street Inn (this is a cool location next to Reynolds Square)
Romantic Things to Do in Savannah
- Savannah Culinary & Cultural Walking Food Tour (such a great way to try the top food spots)
- Private Tour of Savannah’s Historic/Victorian Districts (feel like a VIP)
- Private Historic Savannah Tour in a Vintage Citroën (feel like a total celeb)
#4: Nashville, TN
Nashville is known to be the perfect girls trip getaway spot but contrary to what some may believe, it also makes for a fantastic couple’s getaway spot.
Spending a trip in Nashville is the Country Couple’s dream vacation. Be sure to check out bars/restaurants from some of your favorite country artists including Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row or Luke Bryan’s 32 Bridge.
Nashville is the best spot to catch country music from Nashville natives as well as potential up-and-coming Country artists.
There are also lots of cool things to do in Nashville for families if you end up wanting to bring the kids.
Where to Stay in Nashville
- 1 Hotel Nashville (awesome location near the Music City Center)
- Graduate Nashville (totally Instagrammable)
- The Russell Nashville (it’s bright and cheery)
Romantic Things to Do in Nashville
- Nashville’s Biggest and Wildest Party Tractor Tour (seriously unique)
- Helicopter Tour of Downtown Nashville (romance in the skies)
- Golf Cart Tour of Nashville (private and totally memorable)
#5: Charleston, SC
Charleston is a charming city that provides the perfect blend of beach relaxation and historical sites to see while on your getaway.
Some fan favorites include the Battery, Folly Beach, and The Aiken Rhett House Museum. If you are someone that is interested in the history of Charleston, this museum will show you everything you need to know and give you a glimpse into what Charleston life looked like in the past.
Charleston reminds me of the picturesque town you would see in a Hallmark romance movie.
Where to Stay in Charleston
- Mills House Charleston (it’s only a 4-minute walk to the Charleston City Market)
- The Charleston Place (adorable hotel in an awesome location)
- French Quarter Inn (beautiful hotel in the French Quarter)
Romantic Things to Do in Charleston
- Charleston’s Old South Carriage Historic Horse & Carriage Tour (talk about romantic)
- Downtown Charleston Food Tour (your tastebuds will thank me)
- Historic Pubs, Taverns, and Taprooms Tour (great for those who love history AND drinking)
#6: New York, NY
While some couples may enjoy the quiet and seclusion of some of the other cities that we have talked about, others may enjoy the rustle and bustle that New York City provides.
There is so much to do in NYC that you will have plenty of activities to keep you and your sweetie occupied. As most know some of the most popular attractions in the city include the Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Some romantic date ideas may include a picnic in Central Park or maybe a fine dining experience at La Grenouille.
Where to Stay in NYC
- The Algonquin (this historic hotel has an incredible location near Times Square)
- The Knickerbocker Hotel (in the heart of Broadway)
- Refinery Hotel (great location between the Empire State Building and Times Square)
Romantic Things to Do in NYC
- Summit One Vanderbilt (come during sunset for gorgeous views)
- Guided Tour of the Met (you’ll want these skip-the-line tickets)
- Chelsea Market and High Line Food Tour (the ultimate NYC date spot)
#7: Santa Claus, IN
I’ve always thought of Christmas as such a romantic time of the year so when I had the opportunity to visit a city called Santa Claus, I couldn’t pass it up.
There is just something about cozying up by the fire, enjoying some hot cocoa, and admiring the Christmas lights that screams romance to me, that is the embodiment of Santa Claus.
Plus it’s one of the best cheap romantic getaways in the U.S.
Don’t miss out on fun attractions here including the Santa Claus Christmas Store, Santa’s Candy Castle, and the Monkey Hollow Winery and Distillery.
Where to Stay in Santa Claus
- Baymont by Wyndham Dale (this is an easy hotel with free breakfast)
- Comfort Inn (short drive to the Monkey Hollow Winery)
Romantic Things to Do in Santa Claus
- Santa Claus Christmas Store (go on a Xmas shopping spree)
- Santa’s Candy Castle (stock up on cocoa for the year)
- Monkey Hollow Winery and Distillery (rustic winery with tastings)
#8: Grand Junction, CO
Grand Junction is another one of the cities on our list that is perfect for an adventurous couple that loves to enjoy nature and get active while spending quality time together.
Some highlights include the Grand Junction Motor Speedway, biking at Powderhorn Mountain Resort, and the Colorado National Monument.
Nothing is quite as beautiful and romantic as watching the sunrise over the Colorado National Monument. Plus, this is one of the most affordable romantic weekend getaways in the U.S.
Where to Stay in Grand Junction
- Hotel Maverick (walkable to the Western Colorado Center for the Arts)
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott Grand Junction Downtown (right in the historic downtown area)
- Wine Country Inn Palisade (adorable hotel just outside the city)
Romantic Things to Do in Grand Junction
- Grand Junction Motor Speedway (race your sweetie for the grand trophy)
- Colorado National Monument (totally Insta-worthy for couples’ shots)
#9: Put-in-Bay, OH
If you are a couple that enjoys the water, Put-in-Bay makes for a great getaway spot for you. Put in Bay is a small town in Ohio located on South Bass Island on Lake Erie.
Some highlights of the island include Heineman Winery, Put-in-Bay Winery, and South Bass Island State Park.
Where to Stay in Put-in-Bay
- Bay Lodging Resort (great location within walking distance to several attractions)
Romantic Things to Do in Put-in-Bay
- Heineman Winery (they have tours from Spring to Fall)
- Perry’s Victory & International Peace Memorial (great for a romantic stroll)
#10: Lake Tahoe, CA
Lake Tahoe is the perfect couple’s getaway spot, particularly in the Winter! There are so many beautiful and cozy cabins that allow you the perfect spot to cozy up with your significant other and enjoy the nature around you.
If you’re visiting during the winter don’t forget to hit the slopes with skiing/tubing. There are tons of things to do in Lake Tahoe in winter. And if you are visiting during the warmer months of the year a great activity is the Lake Tahoe Boat Cruise.
Where to Stay in Lake Tahoe
- Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort (this one has a spa and a casino)
- Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel (walkable to a few attractions)
- Tahoe Seasons Resort (great option for skiers)
Romantic Things to Do in Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Helicopter Tour (check out lakes, waterfalls, and mountains)
- Lake Tahoe Polaris Slingshot Rental (perfect for daredevils)
- Sightseeing Cruise of Emerald Bay (tons of romantic opportunities)
#11: Orlando, FL
In most instances, I think people immediately associate Orlando Florida as the perfect family vacation spot because of all of the theme parks in the city including Disney World and Universal Studios. But, in my opinion, Orlando can also be a great couples’ getaway spot.
Personally, it’s my favorite place to spend time with my husband. I am a lover of all things Disney and there is nothing more romantic than spending time with the person I love in a place filled with wonder and magic.
Of course, the highlights of Orlando are the theme parks, Walt Disney World and Universal Studios Orlando.
Where to Stay in Orlando
- Disney’s Grand Floridian (gorgeous hotel right by Magic Kingdom)
- Waldorf Astoria Orlando (this is a lovely hotel in between several Disney Parks and Disney Springs)
- Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace Disney Springs Area (great pool area and walkable to Disney Springs)
Romantic Things to Do in Orlando
- Glass Bottom Guided Kayak Eco Tour (definitely Instagrammable)
- Manatee Adventure (this is in an Everglades Style Airboat)
- Mango’s LIVE! (South Beach dinner show)
#12: San Diego, CA
In my personal opinion, San Diego is one of the most beautiful cities in the United States. The weather is near perfect year-round, there are areas of seclusion, and there are so many wonderful activities and things to do in San Diego.
If you choose to take a couple’s trip here, some of the can’t-miss spots include a stroll on Oceanside Harbor, Sea World, and the San Diego Zoo.
Where to Stay in San Diego
- Old Town Inn (it’s close to the beach and it includes free breakfast)
- Pendry San Diego (a lovely hotel that’s walkable to Balboa Park)
- The Rambler Motel (a kitschy motel near the Living Coast Discovery Center)
Romantic Things to Do in San Diego
- San Diego Harbor Cruise (great for sightseeing)
- Brothels, Bites and Booze: A Culinary Tour of San Diego’s Questionable Past (talk about memorable!)
- Balboa Park Highlights Small Group Tour (this also includes coffee)
#13: Kauai, HI
It’s hard not to include a place like Hawaii on a list of romantic getaways. What could be more romantic than spending time with the person you love on a paradise island? Kauai is a beautiful island in Hawaii.
Some highlights of the Island include Ke’e Beach, Hanalei Bay, and a Kauai ATV Waterfall Tour. Kauai is the perfect spot for a couple that loves tropical settings and has a sense of adventure.
Where to Stay on Kauai
- Ko’a Kea Resort (gorgeous boutique hotel on Poipu Beach)
- Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu (a larger Poipu resort with tons of amenities)
- 1 Hotel Hanalei Bay (a total splurge on Kauai’s North Shore)
Romantic Things to Do on Kauai
- Entire Kauai Island Air Tour (an adventurous scenic flight)
- Deluxe Na Pali Morning Snorkel Tour (the ultimate Kauai experience)
- Princeville Botanical Gardens Tour and Chocolate Tasting (gorgeous and delicious)
#14: Fredericksburg, TX
Fredericksburg is the perfect spot for that couple that loves a vacation filled with a lot of activities and things to do during their trip.
There is so much to do in Fredericksburg including restaurants, shopping, and wineries in Texas Wine Country.
Fredericksburg is also home to over 400+ events and festivals throughout the year so no matter what time of the year you visit, you’re sure to find a whole lot of fun!
Some of their most popular events include the Fredericksburg Food & Wine Fest, Hill Country Film Festival, and Oktoberfest.
Where to Stay in Fredericksburg
- Fredericksburg Inn & Suites (walkable to several attractions)
- Inn On Barons Creek (this also is in a great location)
Romantic Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Fredericksburg Winery Tour (includes wine tastings and lunch)
- Historic District Narrated Trolley Tour (a fun way to see the sights)
#15: New Orleans, LA
New Orleans is one of my favorite destinations and will make for the perfect choice for you and your significant other if you are foodies like us!
New Orleans has some of the most incredible food with so many delicious flavors!
Other attractions and highlights in New Orleans include the French Quarter, Cemetery Tours, and the New Orleans Museum of Art.
Where to Stay in New Orleans
- One11 Hotel (right next to Canal Street)
- Hotel St. Marie (near Jackson Square)
- Bourbon Orleans Hotel (a pretty hotel in a great location)
Romantic Things to Do in New Orleans
- Food Walking Tour of the French Quarter (this is a MUST-DO)
- Steamboat Natchez VIP Jazz Dinner Cruise (fun date night idea)
- New Orleans Garden District Tour (a beautiful and romantic stroll)
Most Romantic Vacation Spots in the U.S. Wrap Up
If you’re looking to plan a romantic getaway for you and your loved one, I hope that this list helps to narrow down the perfect destination.
If you have visited one of these spots or decide to take a trip from this list, be sure to share your feedback and experiences with our readers. Enjoy your time away and be safe!