We’ve been traveling a lot this past winter and spring. The dry air has really been bothering me lately. My skin has been so dried out and it’s lost its glow. When Cocolivo contacted me about reviewing their skin care product, I was intrigued. Cocolivo is a vegan product from Canada that combines organic coconut, olive and avocado oil.
Cocolivo for Skin Care
My skin has been through the ringer after having kids. Additionally, here in Seattle we’ve been experiencing the winter that just won’t go away. These factors have made my skin dry and flaky. It’s awful. I went for a facial at Semiahmoo Resort & Spa and was recommended to try hemp oil. I thought about that, but decided to try my Cocolivo since I already had it.
I’ve been using it in the morning after my shower as a base layer. Once it soaks in, I usually add my usual moisturizer. It’s been hard to figure out how much to use so my skin isn’t shiny. Less is more in this case.
I also use it at night to remove my makeup and moisturize. It’s the best make-up remover. My 12-hour stay lipstick comes off easily when I apply Cocolivo. Plus it leaves my lips feeling soft.
Cocolivo for Baby
My 8-month-old is a drooler. This has caused his chin to be red and splotchy. It’s been getting worse and worse and we’ve tried many products. Someone suggested I put coconut oil on it. That’s when I remembered that I had Cocolivo.
First, I used Bioderma to hydrate the skin irritation. Once I could see it starting to clear up, I layered on Cocolivo. I’ve been using it on his face every other day and the irritation is completely gone! I wish I would have done it earlier!
I also use it as a baby massage oil. Baby massage is a great way for me to bond with my baby. I even involve my 3-year-old and we sing to the baby while we apply the Cocolivo. It’s been a fun activity for all of us!
Cocolivo for Hair Care
Another use is for hair care. I have really, really thick hair. I’ve tried washing it everyday, which leaves my hair dry. I’ve tried only washing it once a week, but then it’s greasy. I’ve landed on washing twice a week and that seems to work for my hair. However, since having kids my hair just isn’t the same.
I applied Cocolivo to my scalp and let it sit in for 20 minutes. Then, I hopped in the shower to rinse it out and wash/condition my hair like usual. It took a lot of rinsing to get the oil out. However, when I dried my hair it looked so shiny! It was an easy way to add a bit of life back into my hair.
Overall Thoughts on Cocolivo
What I Liked:
- My skin is softer than it has been in years. I’ve used it on my face at least once a day for the entire months of March-May and my skin looks and feels smooth.
- My hair is shiny! I’ve tried it twice on my scalp and my hair feels so luxurious and has a wonderful shine that lasts for 3-4 days without washing.
- It made a nourishing oil for baby massage (and 3-year-old massage…and Mama massage.)
- It’s helped prevent drool rash for my baby.
What I Didn’t Like:
- The smell. I used it a lot on my face and it smelled like cooking oil for quite awhile. On one hand I’m glad they didn’t add a fragrance, but the smell got to me.
- The lid ended up getting pretty oily because that’s where I stored the little spoon (there’s a magnet on the lid.)
On a side note, my 3-year-old keeps saying “Cocolivo” around the house because he thinks it’s a fun word!
Cocolivo sent me product for review purposes. All opinions are my own.