I was lucky enough to get to go on a Moms-only trip to Portland, Oregon in March. We try to get away once a year and we chose Portland because it’s just 3 hours from our homes in the Seattle-area. We all have 3-year-olds, so it’s a comfortable distance. I started researching hotels immediately. Since one of the Moms in our group was super pregnant, we wanted to find somewhere centrally located (where we could walk to stuff) but that also offered food options in case we ended up just hanging at the hotel. And cleanliness was of highest priority.
After a lot of research and group input, we decided to try Sentinel Hotel which is ideally located in the heart of Portland’s city center, not far from the Pearl District and waterfront. In 2016, it was ranked #1 Best Hotel in the PNW by Conde Nast Traveler. Although Sentinel Hotel is a luxury hotel, the alternative spirit of Portland has permeated through their walls. Their extensive list of signature amenities include a pillow menu, pet services, and locally made Salt & Straw gourmet ice cream. They even have a number of beehives on their rooftop where BeeLocal produces artisanal, local honey.
Out of the three rooms we had, mine was the only one that had this menu card in it. Usually when I get into a hotel room, the first thing I do is look at the binder that has all the hotel info. I like to know what my options are. I loved how streamlined this was and really got to the point. I also feel like we should have tried out the Pillow Menu and ordered from Salt & Straw. However, we spent a lot of time out and about exploring Portland.
But, it’s definitely worth noting that we found some special items in the mini bar area. In 2/3 of the rooms, there were “Love Kits” featuring personal massagers. This was the first time I’ve seen something like that in a hotel mini bar and we thought it was hysterical!
What’s Awesome About Sentinel Hotel:
- The lobby is gorgeous and offers complimentary Smith Teamaker iced tea and citrus water.
- The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated.
- They offer make-up remover and bathrobes. I mean, does it get any better than that?
- Earplugs are available at the front desk.
- The beds have extra blankets and comforter and they are super comfortable.
- They have free wifi in the room (and you don’t need to enter a password.)
- They have an on-site restaurant and a full Starbucks where they brew using the Clover machine.
- They also have a nightclub at the hotel. My friends went and said it was great to walk through and remember what it was like to be young, and then feel grateful that we are no longer that young 🙂
- The location was ideal for us. Easy to walk to shopping, a multitude of restaurants and just steps away from the amazing Comma wine bar + nail salon.
Sentinel Hotel’s Not-So-Great Features:
- Their overnight parking is $43. I found cheaper parking down the street but it wasn’t clear if I could park overnight (thankfully the valet staff were super helpful.)
- They have a club downstairs which can be heard throughout the hotel (if you don’t wear earplugs.)
- While the hotel itself was mostly quiet, the birds outside were not. My friend Lisa put it best, “I think someone gets up at 5:00 am every day to feed 7,000,000 birds across the street from the hotel.”
- No pay-per-view movies.
- The room felt a bit dark at night because there are only 2 lamps in the room.
- The glasses didn’t look very clean.
- Their Starbucks was supposed to serve beer, wine and savory snacks from 4pm on, but they said they were no longer doing that.